JOB OPENING: AAFF ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS
The Ann Arbor Film Festival (AAFF) is seeking an experienced individual to join our team as the Associate Director of Programs. This is a unique opportunity to partner on the development of the AAFF’s program and artistic vision. We are most interested in a synthesis of the traditions of avant-garde cinema, video, and new media art in contemporary moving image art practice, and seek to showcase interdisciplinary artists practicing moving image art in a broadly defined arena. The Associate Director of Programs must be able to bring moving image art communities together to think about how the AAFF should represent them in its programs in the future.
The Associate Director of Programs is responsible for producing programs in support of the AAFF mission, which includes engaging our audience of regular attendees made up in great part by students and residents of Ann Arbor, Southeast Michigan and visitors worldwide, who enjoy cinematic alternatives to mainstream film. S/he will collaborate on audience outreach as well as help to define and execute principles of participatory art for the Festival audience. S/he will represent the organization as an ambassador to a broad range of constituents and participate in fundraising activities as well as support the marketing, PR and production of the Festival as needed.
Key Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Overall management of competition programming: oversee screening process, including screener selection and training; manage screening committee coordination; manage final selection; create program grouping, sequence and descriptions.
• Partner with Executive Director to determine special programs, juror selection, installations etc.
• Collaborate with Festival Staff to produce design graphics, catalog, website and to effectively promote the Festival.
• Collaborate with Festival Staff to create a successful Festival Week including: introduce programs; coordinate with staff to meet needs of attending filmmakers and special guests; support production and promotion of Festival, as needed; partner with Technical Director to ensure high quality exhibition.
• Support the selection and sequencing of the touring program and DVD. Solicit tour venues and institutional DVD placement.
• Research and build relationships in the field of moving image art.
Key Job Requirements include:
The successful candidate has demonstrated strengths in media arts programming and brings strong contacts in avant-garde cinema, video, and/or new media art in contemporary moving image art practice.
S/he is knowledgeable in both avant-garde film and screen-based new media practice, understands the history of the AAFF, and has experience with nonprofit organizations.
This individual values diversity, can synthesize a wide range of perspectives, and will add value through broad community building and excellent programming skills.
The successful candidate should possess the energy, collaborative spirit, flexibility and acumen to build on what has been achieved and assist the AAFF to grow into the next exciting phase.
The AAFF is the oldest experimental film festival in North America, and an internationally recognized premiere forum for avant-garde filmmakers. We feature the work of independent artists who make short films that cross boundaries, break expectations and experiment with concepts and techniques. Our mission is to support bold, visionary filmmakers, advance the art form of film and new media, and engage communities with remarkable cinematic experiences.
Our six-day festival presents 40 different programs featuring 150 moving image artworks. Films of all lengths and genres from all over the world are programmed and include experimental, animation, documentary, narrative, and performance-based works. The AAFF draws 11,000 ticket holders from near and far to the historic Michigan Theater in downtown Ann Arbor. The 55th AAFF will take place March 20-26, 2017.
Position open until filled.
To apply, please send your letter of interest, resume/CV, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org